Friday, June 15, 2012

Feta and Watermelon Quinoa

One of my very favourite food blogs is How Sweet it Is. The recipes are always great and so are the pictures. A few weeks ago when I saw this recipe, it was calling my name! I love quinoa, feta cheese is fantastic, and there was a gigantic watermelon in my fridge just waiting to be cut open (plus I got to use some more of that basil from my garden that I used when I made pesto).

I made it as a side with grilled salmon, and it was a hit. It made enough to have leftovers too, so I ate some for lunch over the next couple of days. When I made it, I wasn't sure how well the leftovers would hold up because of the watermelon (I thought it might get soggy), but they tasted just as good (if not better) the next day.



Watermelon & Feta Quinoa
slightly adapted from How Sweet It Is
Makes 4-6 side servings
  • 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh watermelon, diced
  • 1 Tbsp. honey
  • 2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
  • 15-20 leaves of basil, roughly chopped
  • 1 tsp. lime juice
Cook quinoa in two cups of water (follow directions on box). Let quinoa cool completely, then toss in 1/2 tsp. salt.

Toss chopped watermelon with honey and remaining salt. In a large bowl, combine cooled quinoa with watermelon, feta and basil. Add lime juice and toss again. Refrigerate if you want it as a cold salad, or serve immediately at room temperature.


Comments:

Post a Comment

Free Blog Template by June Lily