Sunday, October 28, 2012

Double Baked Potatoes

As the weather gets cooler and the nights get darker, I find that I just want comfort food. Pasta, chicken pot pie...and these potatoes!


What makes these different than regular potatoes is that they are scooped out after they are baked the first time, and the flesh is basically mashed into mashed potatoes...then you stuff the filling back into the empty potato skin! Oh, and then top them with bacon and cheese. How much more comforting can you get?


When I was taking the pictures for this post, my sister suggested that I should name them "Double Bacon Potatoes". "Double Bake-on Potatoes, get it?! Because they are double baked and they have bacon!" she said. Cute...but I thought it would confuse people. There is only one type of bacon. I'm sorry. 


Whatever you choose to call these baked potatoes, one thing that I know you'll call them is delicious.

Double Baked Potatoes
Makes 4 servings
  • 2 large baking potatoes
  • 1/3 cup sour cream (I used low fat)
  • 2 Tbsp. cream cheese
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 tsp. onion salt
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  • 4 slices bacon, cooked (substitute bacon bits if you want)
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
In an oven heated to 450 degrees, pierce potatoes and bake for one hour. Remove from oven and let cool.

Once potatoes are cool, cut in half and scoop out the flesh, being careful not to scoop all the way through, otherwise you may break the skin.

Put potato flesh into a large bowl and mash. Add sour cream, cream cheese, milk, onion salt and pepper. Spoon mixture back into empty potato skins and top with bacon and cheddar cheese.

Return potatoes to oven for 15 minutes.


Comments:

Post a Comment

Free Blog Template by June Lily